Putting Together ‘Delicious’ | Churro Cheesecake Spring Rolls
As a chef, I believe in creating delicious, unique things that are easy to recreate at home. I did pretty much the same thing in restaurant and hotel kitchens when I was there full-time, and over the past twenty or so years, I’ve been inspiring people to go a little outside their comfort zone to find ‘delicious’ wherever it hides.
In general, I believe that, if you combine two things you really like, you’ll end up with something even better. Of course, those items have to go together. For example, I love peanut butter and spaghetti but I wouldn’t advocate combining those.
This recipe is an example of combining two things that I believe wouldn’t joined each other in holy matrimony had they been given the opportunity. Fried cheesecake (sometimes known as ‘xangos’) and churros are two of my favorite desserts. Both are fried, both are sweet and rich, and they just seemed to be perfect for each other. So far be it from me to deny them eternally happiness together, right?
Just like anytime you fry, make sure your oil is a steady and consistent temperature throughout the process. The 350°F “butter zone” makes sure the edges crisp and the centers warm through just right. Invest in a frying thermometer if you don’t have one already.
Also, ensure your rolls are chilled a bit before frying. It will help keep the edges sealed and the filling on the inside where it belongs. In addition, these rolls freeze well, so you can make a ton of these at one time and fry them when you need them.
I hope you’re ready to indulge because this recipe is a keeper. Enjoy!
Churro Cheesecake Spring Rolls
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 pkg. spring roll or egg roll wrappers (in grocer’s produce dept.)
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp. water
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Chill 30-45 minutes.
- Open spring roll package. Keep unused wrappers nestled in damp paper towels to prevent them from drying out while you work.
- Set the wrapper in front of you in a diamond shape.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of cheese filling onto the lower-center of the wrapper.
- Carefully roll up and away from yourself, burrito-style, using the egg mixture to seal the edges.
- Press down to ensure tight seal. Wrap all spring rolls in the same manner.
- Place 4” of vegetable or canola oil in a heavy saucepan. Bring oil to 350°F, using a deep frying thermometer to confirm.
- Carefully drop spring rolls into oil and fry 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- While frying, combine sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Remove rolls from oil and shake off excess, then drop into the sugar mixture.
- Coat each roll completely and serve warm.
(Makes about 20, 20 servings)
Nutrition: (based on chef’s preparation; your data may vary slightly | per serving, + 1 tsp. cinnamon sugar coating)
Calories = 179; Total Fat = 3g; Cholesterol = 5mg; Sodium = 194mg; Total Carb = 35g; Fiber = 2g; Sugars = 11g; Protein = 4.7g.
Reduce Calories and Fat by: Baking or air-frying after spraying the rolls lightly with pan spray.
Make it Vegan by: Use vegan spring roll wrappers, dairy free cream cheese and plain water to seal the rolls.